- 1902 - 523 people die in the Black concentration camps of the Second Anglo-Boer War.
- 1896 - Construction of the Kenya-Uganda railway begins at the port of Mombasa.
- 1919 - Belgium and Britain sign the Anglo-Belgium agreement: Belgium gains Rwanda and Burundi, while Britain takes control of German East Africa (Tanzania).
- 1966 - President Mobutu Sese Seko publicly executes Évariste Kimba, former Congolese Prime Minister, and other politicians in Kinshasa.
- 1967 – The Nigerian Eastern Region declares independence as the Republic of Biafra, sparking a civil war.
- 2012 – Former Liberian president Charles Taylor is sentenced to 50 years in prison for his role in atrocities committed during the Sierra Leone Civil War.
- 2013 – Nigeria passes a law banning same-sex marriage.